Each and every business requires a database and transaction processing systems to store as well as maintain all the records. Excel was used previously, but as the trends grew, there grew many disadvantages in using excel. It became hard to maintain the data. This is where the OLAP database and columnar database came into existence. The OLAP database has many benefits. It is abbreviated as Online Analytical Processing. It is used to allow the users to access a huge amount of data in a quick way that is stored in the data warehouses. The OLAP provides a real-time analysis on the data that is stored in the warehouse. In general, an OLAP server acts as a isolated component which includes indexing tools and specialized algorithms to enable the process of data-mining. The OLAP serves as the integral component of a business. It helps in decision making, analyzing the jobs of an organization. The systems are designed so as to provide the below benefits:
- It helps in fulfilling the requirements or needs of the decision-makers.
- It analyzes the data in different angles or dimensions.
- It handles large inputs of data sets.
The OLAP system is designed depending on 2 architectures which are:
- MOLAP (Multidimensional online analytical processing)
- ROLAP (Relational online analytical processing)
The MOLAP is multidimensional database which provides good analysis on the data whereas the ROLAP helps in accessing the data straightforwardly from the data warehouse.
The next is the columnar database which has high benefits too. This has the ability to do wonders in the data management. Some of the benefits are as follows:
- Suitability: The database is not only suitable for telecommunications but also can be used for industries like: retail stores and financial services.
- Performance enhancement: It reads only the relevant data required by the user and eliminates the rest. This helps in increasing the performance level.
- Rapid response: This is s feature which every individual needs. Well no one will want to wait for even seconds to get the results. So in this database, once you put in the queries, it will immediately display the results and avoids making a person wait.
- Easy analysis: It helps in analyzing the data properly and helps in detecting fraud activities, making reports and business analytics.
- Easy computation: The database helps in making a lot of computations in an easier way. Even if the computations are complex, it will perform the functions and produce tremendous results. This helps in saving you a lot of time and you will be able to compute sales in a lesser time.
- Report generation: Apart from storing, accessing and retrieving the data, it will also help you in creating BI (Business Reports) reports. These reports can be very useful in making different analysis.
- Minimum DBA effort: It requires a very less DBA (Database Assistance) effort and is very simple. The current queries and applications will be unchanged.
- Proper data storage: The database helps in storing the data in a well organized manner so that a user can easily get access to the data as well as retrieve it.
Apart from the databases, the transaction processing systems are also very essential for a business. The business can either be small or large but such systems are necessary because they save you a lot of time and energy. The transaction systems must be able to help you with the customer’s credit cards and their details. It helps in managing all the payments and even the customers will be satisfied with the service done by you with such systems. It offers a complete, reliable, flexible and secured solution for the customers in transaction processing. It is easy to use and manage. It meets all the requirements of the modern world.