Every business today depends upon its records and legal documents. Recording the activities or things happening in the organization is very essential. The records can be of anything. It can be work reports, contracts, day to day memos or even order forms. There is vast variety of information which is there in the business. Hence a record management system needs to be very efficient for every concern. There is some records management policy too. Before, tons of papers were used in order to record all the data associated with an organization. As there is a tremendous growth in the technology, records management software was introduced. With the help of a record management system, small or large business manages the records happening in their firm. The following are the advantages of having records management software:
- Business practices and transactions get more efficient.
- Set priority on business elements, which are important.
- Reduce the time of employees, who get engaged for a long time in searching and retrieving files.
- Reduce the chances of documents being lost or misplaced.
- Saves time, money and paper.
- It is secured and wasted space can be reclaimed.
- It provides easy access to files. It searches for the file instantly without making much delay for the user.
If you do not make a clear policy, then employee will be dissatisfied and confused. It also has the tendency to lessen the productivity. The records management policy must have the following information:
- The sheet must contain a list of policies and you must include the date as to when the policies were endorsed. You can include these things in the footer of the page or at its header.
- The policy must have certain basic introductory areas regarding policy statement, what is record management and why is it essential to an organization. You must b able to give a proper outline or scope of the policy.
- List or make a note on all the responsibilities and key part of the organization.
- Give a clear idea or an outline on how a record can be created. If possible add few work flow diagrams or flowcharts for it.
- The journey of the record has to be mapped properly. For instance, How the records are stored, how is it shared with others, with whom is it shared, how records can be achieved etc. The procedures must be correct and they need to be mapped very clearly because the one who reads the policies should be able to understand what is going on.
- You must also state as to when and how a record can be destroyed.
- The process of accessing the files also needs to be jotted down.
The traditional method of saving all the records, connected to a business was done only by paper and pen. It was easy to manage and maintain. Now with the help of a computer, the documents are converted into digital format. The records can be managed in internet as well as intranet. IRM (iManage Record Manager) is specially designed software made by the companies of India and USA which helps in managing the records efficiently. The records can be of: paper documents, emails etc. It also helps in scanning images, all kinds of media files, electronic documents, electronic mails, etc. IRM also has the capability to support different email platform like Lotus Notes, Microsoft outlook etc. This tool helps in managing the records of a business. Nearly 35% of the companies in India and USA use this tool in their organizations.