Data storage with security is necessary for every business and individual holding a PC. Therefore the secure document storage is very essential. There are even online document storage and offsite data storage. Only if your data is properly secured, you can refer them in future. As per the government rule regarding the records management policy, it is necessary for every business to keep their past records for at least 6 years. But it will pile up your office and the computer and there probably wouldn’t be any sufficient space left to fit in more data. This is when secure document storage comes into act and following is the checklist while choosing a provider for it:
- Check if the service provider is providing you with storage and as well as retrieval services. They must provide you with quick document storage and also retrieval. It should have the ability to store records even in offsite, request or place a file, secure FTP to the desktop.
- It must have facilities like: early detection of fire and smoke, detection of water and security features like Biometric finger prints and Redcare.
- Look into the archive features so that you can know where your records are held and if it is secured from hackers or not. Also check for the company’s credits like ISO9001/2008 (quality) and ISO27001 (information security).
Apart from above things, there are companies in online which help the people in managing your documents in online. They are very user friendly and easily manage your documents. The following are some things to consider when you are dealing with online document storage:
- Check if the service is offering you a monthly cost or one time installation cost for using their services. Many programs are simple to use and provides only one time fee for it and charges based on the storage amount and bandwidth transfer size done per month. A reputed company will clearly tell their pricings to the consumers.
- Make sure that the online service provider you choose is worthy enough to secure all your documents. Security is the one feature that highly matters. There are companies who use high eng encryption technology to make you information 100% safe.
- Check if you can change the storage amount and bandwidth size with the one you would be using. Certain companies offer you with upgrading the storage capacity and as well as bandwidth. This is necessary because once your business begins to expand you will require more space for storing the documents.
- Make sure of the format types which can be uploaded in the transfer system. Can it only accept excel and word files or media files can also be used? Most of the companies offer you with all the common type of formats to be transferred.
- The most essential thing is to check if you can change the access of users to certain documents.
It is very essential for every business to have a back up of all the data. External memory disks and tapes have been out dated. Offsite data storage will help you to eliminate data loss from natural disaster, failure and theft. The data out here is stored in the remote server and can be accessed only through web interface along with an internet connection. It is an affordable, secured and ideal way to save the data. When it comes to huge organizations and businesses, huge amounts of data needs to be stored. The data to be stored at such cases keeps increasing day by day. It is essential for the storage administrators that they keep all the data secured at a single place. Only in this way, they will be able to access and manage the information easily.