Database is one essential thing which everyone requires for a business. The offline databases are outdated because of the tremendous growth in the technology. The online database software are been widely used these days. They can be used with the help of internet but charges apply based on the monthly usage. Apart from the benefits, there are also disadvantages of using online database software. The following are some of the advantages and disadvantages:
- Online: Since it is online, the database can be accessed from anywhere around the world. With the help of cloud computing trends, it becomes very easy to host the online olap database. It becomes more secured and scalable.
- Elasticity: The database which is web based, has the tendency to store a huge data and is flexible in nature. When there is a data flow, there would be more space allocated to you based on the requirements.
- Multi-tenancy: The cloud database is by nature multi-tenant which means that multiple customers can use the same database on the basis of shared model. You need to pay for the space that you use.
- Pay for a use: This is what everyone likes. Well none will want to pay for free things. Only if the space is used, you can pay for it.
- Security: Since it is web based, naturally there would be a lot of scams and intruders involved, so you need to know how far the data is secured if you use up the service. Since it is online, people are scared to use such databases just because of the security.
- Switching: Many databases will support various formats and hence switching is very essential. When you switch from one format to the other, obviously there would be cost for it which becomes a big disadvantage for the people.
- Downtime: At times there is a possibility of the servers to be very down. It can be due to different reasons which can even lead to data loss which in turn the customers get affected.
The online databases can improve the business productivity in different ways and can also serve various functions. One can even customize the database based on the business workflow. There is something what is called the requirements management software and act database software. They have various benefits in using. The requirements management software involves documenting, tracing, prioritizing, agreeing and analyzing the requirements, which then helps to control the change and finally communicate to the associated stakeholders. This is a continuous process which is carried out during the project. There are many companies who use database software today. The act database software lets the user with certain links to the PDAs.
It has many features which are as follows:
- They have the tendency to get linked with the PDAs.
- They can also be linked with the accounting software systems which are available instantly.
- It provides the customers of the business with good services and enhanced online solutions.
- It has the ability to import as well as export with the most popularly and commonly used Microsoft formats like: Excel, Outlook and Word.
The information that is stored in the database is in the form of rows and columns. But when you select the right kind of software for database, you will be able to convert the data in to priceless information. Choosing the right database software falling under the right budget is very important for every organization. There are even free online database solutions in online but you need to make a thorough review before using them.