The management information system definition can be stated in many ways based on different views but generally a management information system definition states that it is a mixture of computer and human based systems that take the inputs from inside as well as outside environment. It helps to analyze, store and calculate the data and then generate reports based on the input. It helps in taking the right decisions of a business at the right time. You might be wondering that “what is content management system”. Well the answer to what is content management system is as follows: The CMS (Content Management System) is a system which allows editing, modifying and publishing the content and also maintaining the site. It possesses a set of procedures that helps in managing the workflow. There is something called as the LCMS which is popularly known as “Learning Content Management System”. The learning management information system has an authoring application, delivery interface, administration-tools and data repository in order to manage the content. The CMS has the following things:
Front End: The visitor of a website sees the following things:
- Articles: This is the main part of a website which includes texts and images. The more strong and attractive is the content, you gain more visitors.
- Blocks: These contain header, footer and side-bars which contains snippets of the contents. For instance, it can be login block, special offers, menus etc.
- Theme: This helps in controlling the look of a web page. The theme which you select for the website must be related to the content you put into it. It helps you adjust the width, sidebar location, text color, text font, artwork at the header, color scheme etc.
Back End: This is the place which is accessible only to you and the co-administrators. The CMS helps in providing the necessary structures which is helpful for building a commercial website with the following things:
- With the help of register and login, one can get the access control on it.
- Through the logical data search, it helps the visitors to look quickly for what they need.
- It provides links, menus and searches. It helps in creating forums, blogs and comments.
Apart from Content Management System (CMS), event Management Information System (MIS) can be used but they do have certain disadvantages which are as follows:
- Lack in planning: The first and foremost important step is to plan before proceeding with an activity. There must be a rough plan so that a business can know about what further steps need to be implemented. If this is not done by the manager, then it will be a team without a caption. At such cases it becomes a disadvantage to implement an MIS in the company if there is an improper plan.
- Lack in interest by a management in implementing MIS: The management are the major people who should decide if the MIS (Management Information System) should be installed in the organization or not. If they aren’t interested in taking up things, then it becomes a disadvantage.
- Usage: Computers has the ability to do the job in milliseconds which is impossible for humans to do it. It will take more time for humans to do a task when compared to super fast computers. In order to achieve the benefits of an MIS, you need to use computers.
- Computer knowledge: The knowledge on computers is very essential for a management to complete the work smoothly. The technology becomes a helping hand in performing a specific job properly.
- Poor involvement by the specialists: It is very necessary to be involved in working with MIS to get its benefits. Without having suggestions, discussions, creative ideas and opinions, it becomes very hard to get the benefits efficiently out of an MIS.